The Virginia Beach Department of Human Services provides adoption services for children in foster care with the city who are legally free for adoption. Applicants must be able to meet the requirements and standards set by the State of Virginia. Couples as well as single parents are considered.
The greatest need is for adoptive families who are able to care for children over the age of 12 and with mental health diagnoses. The Virginia Beach Department of Human Services will connect families with resources, supports and services to help them meet the needs of children placed in their home.
Below is a listing of the services the adoption unit offers:
- Recruitment of adoptive homes for children with the goal of adoption not currently in an identified adoptive home.
- Support for children to assist them in understanding and coping with the separation from their birth family and the adoption plan being made.
- Identifying and connecting children and adoptive parents with services and supports to strengthen their relationship and enhance the caregiver's ability to meet the needs of the child.
- Required supervision of the pre-adoptive placement to meet the state standards for finalization of an adoption.
- Post-adoption support until the child reaches the age of 18 and in some cases 21.